Frequently Asked Questions

Get The Help You Need Seeking Benefits

Workers' compensation can seem frustrating and overwhelming from the outside. It requires great attention to detail and patience to navigate the red tape and get the benefits you need. It is important to have someone on your side whom you trust to help you.

At Carrazco Law we are experienced workers' comp lawyers: In fact, it is a large part of our practice. We are able to answer some common questions we receive.

What should I do if I have a job injury?

1. Report the injury to your employer. Tell your supervisor right away. If your injury or illness developed gradually (like tendinitis or hearing loss), report it as soon as you learn or believe it was caused by your job.

2. Get emergency treatment if needed. If it's a medical emergency, go to an emergency room right away. Your employer may tell you where to go for treatment. Tell the healthcare provider who treats you that your injury or illness is job-related.

3. Fill out a claim form and give it to your employer. Your employer must give or mail you a claim form (DWC 1) within one working day after learning about your injury or illness. Use it to request workers' compensation benefits.

4. Get good medical care to help you recover. You should be treated by a doctor who understands your particular type of injury or illness. Tell the doctor about your symptoms and the events at work that you believe caused them. Also describe your job and your work environment.

Am I covered by workers' comp?

Every worker is covered, even undocumented immigrants. Companies are required to hold workers' compensation coverage in the event of an accident at work.

Can I get workers' comp benefits no matter what if I'm injured at work?

Though generally, workers' compensation applies to nearly any injury sustained at work, if the accident was caused by your consumption of alcohol or use of drugs, it is possible your claim will be denied.

How much will my benefits be for?

It varies based on your current pay level and your injury. Your workers' comp benefits will never be greater than your current pay.

What are my benefits?

1. Medical care: paid for by your employer, to help you recover from an injury or illness caused by work.

2. Temporary disability benefits: payments if you lose wages because your injury prevents you from doing your usual job while recovering. Permanent disability benefits are payments if you don't recover completely.

3. Supplemental job displacement benefits (if your date of injury is in 2004 or later): vouchers to help pay for retraining or skill enhancement if you don't recover completely and don't return to work for your employers.

4. Death benefits: payments to your spouse, children or other dependents if you die from a job injury or illness.

Can I receive disability benefits and workers' comp, too?

Yes, in California you can receive both disability benefits and workers' compensation, although they may not add up to a certain percentage of your previous salary or pay. At that point, your benefits will be reduced.

Get Free Advice From Us On Your Situation

You can reach us by calling our office at 657-229-2946, or send us a message through our online form. We are located in Tustin and Montebello.

Email Us For a Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Tustin Office
18301 Irvine Boulevard
Tustin, CA 92780-3412

Phone: 657-229-2946
Fax: 714-541-8601
Map & Directions

Montebello Office
3500 West Beverly Blvd.
Montebello, California 90640

Fax: 323-597-0101
Map & Directions